Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Eat & Run - A Book Review






I recently finished reading this book about ultramarathon runner Scott Jurek.

This man was at the top of ultramarathon running in the States for a long time, and his book tells of his journey to the top and how he got there.

He writes about the kind of training he did over the years, and also a lot about his diet and nutrition. Each chapter even has a recipe at the end. I tried the the vegetarian chilli recipe on P.70 which was very tasty!

I enjoyed the style of the book and hearing Scott's tales of endurance - the things he pushed through and overcame. I find it inspiring and motivating to read about what other people push through to achieve their goals. It often makes my own doubts and stumbling blocks fade away as I realise how small and silly they are in the scale of things.  It's also amazing to realise what the human body is capable of!

Scott became a vegan and is very much an advocate for a plant based diet, proving how nourishing and adequate it can be - it certainly provided him with enough fuel and nutrition to achieve some amazing physical results.

Although I won't be going vegan (I was vegetarian for a few years when I was younger) I'm happy to try to include some vegetarian meals into my meal plans, and as I mentioned before there are some good recipes in the book.

Towards the end of the book, I felt that things really slowed down. Scott went through a phase when he wasn't motivated and although he climbed back out of that, the book didn't finish with the same inspiration and motivation it had started with. It kind of felt flat at the end.

It wasn't as good as the previous book I read - Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes; but I did enjoy reading this book and would recommend it to those interested in running, ultramarathons and the amazing abilities of the human body!

Disclosure - the links in this post take you to The Book Depository where I would receive a small commission if you buy your books there.


No comments:

Post a Comment